Old March 10th 05, 01:36 AM
John David Galt

Cartlon Shew wrote:
> I understand that you're supposed to do this, but are you required to
> stop if you see a firetruck coming from the opposite direction?

Yes.

> Even if there's a median?

I'd say no, unless there's an opening in the median between you and him
(because then you have to assume he might turn and cross your path).

> I always thought yielding meant getting out of the way, but a lot of
> folks around here think it means stop wherever you happened to be.

If you know where he's going and can get out of the way, I'd do that.
But you can't make assumptions, because an emergency vehicle is allowed
to do things like turn left from the right lane. So if you're not sure
or can't see him, it's better to stop.