Old January 13th 05, 05:59 PM
EasyEd

Default OBD2 Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

Hey All,

First I'm not a mechanic. I can do filter changes, fluid changes (oil,
coolant), brakes - you know basic stuff like that. At one time I could
even rebuild a 3 speed nonsynchro 1st gear 65 Mustang trani (never
shoulda sold that car) and tune the twin carbs on my 63 Corvair
(totalled) but those were probably the pinnacles of my automotive
knowledge. We now drive an 01 Nissan Xterra and a 90 Dodge Cummins 3/4
ton 5sp 4x4 (I wish I knew something about working on diesels) and have
an old rusting 84 Honda Accord (241k miles and still IMO the most
dependable car we own - just looks bad) around for when something else
isn't running.

Anyway I'm thinking of buying somekind of OBD2 scanner for the Xterra.
I don't like paying to clear relatively unimportant service engine soon
- light on - codes. As an example - the other day at a store the engine
didn't shut down right (never locked the steering and I'm not sure what
else (10 below zero F) so the light came on. After that it ran fine and
but the SES light was on. Simply IMO a meaningless nuisance code and of
course it cost $ to diagnose as meaningless and clear.

Anyway I'm looking for recomendations on OBD2 scanners - their pluses
and minuses. I've seem em from about $90 to over $200. I'm looking for
value for the dollar. So the cheapest may not be adequate but OTOH the
most expensive is likely overkill as I'm an occasional "shade tree"
mechanic. All opinions welcome!

Thanks an Take Care! -Ed-

PS - The older I get the more I long for the days when a guy could work
on a car on a warm summer night and actually achieve some real
performance not just making a car "prettier".