Old January 12th 05, 03:40 AM
Joe

"Punch" > wrote in message

> "PT_Sean" > wrote in message
>> 25,000 kms on her.
>>
>> The first snow fall last year (first winter that I had it), my ass end
>> spun
>> around on a snowy day, scaring the heck out of me. So I went to an empty
>> lot and learnt how do control that a bit better.
>>
>> This winter, I got stuck on a slight slope, thought that odd. So I went
>> another snowy lot, tried a few hard turns, and there is NO evidence that
>> the
>> rear wheels spun AT ALL!! I think my AWD is not AWD'ing.
>>
>> I guess I can jack up the van and do a few tests, seems risky. I will
>> take
>> it in under warranty Tuesday.
>>
>> OR, am I missing something? Can't find a fuse, the lube does not have to
>> be
>> changed, maybe topped up (service guide says change at 24000 kms IF usage
>> is
>> severe, I don't think mine is).
>>
>> Ideas?

> yep, its awd, not 4wd, think subaru, power to the wheels that grip, so if
> 3 wheels don't grip they get no power.

You wish! It's the most low-tech thing on earth. They will spin, and there's
nothing in the system that should kill it when you're going forward. It does
have an overrunning clutch in it that causes it to not work in reverse, and
some rube golberg dog clutch to re-engage it in reverse (they should have
left all that off).

Here's what I did years ago; when it slows, see if you can make the rear
tires spin while somebody else watches. Jack up the front and see if the
rear will push it off the jacks. Or, with the engine off, in park, jack up
the rear and roll the rear tire. It should roll free going one way, and you
should have to fight the viscous clutch going the other way.