Old October 22nd 04, 12:07 AM
John

Hi,

Check out this link to get you started:

http://www.4130-products.com/step/struts/index.htm

Also check the other DYI stuff from there ,very helpful.

As for the strut mounts , a 22mm socket will work but the trick is to not
let the strut shaft spin . If you notice there is a hex hole on the shaft
that is meant for an allen key. That special tool is nothing more than an
open ended socket that is turned with a wrench while holding the allen key
through the center and stopping the shaft from spinning. There are a couple
of ways around this. You may just get lucky and the bolt will loosen with
out problems, You could make your own tool by filing down the sides of a
deep 22mm socket so that it can be turned with wrench or use an impact
wrench which just zip the nut right off. What I have done in the past is to
use a pair of vise grips on the strut shaft up inside the wheel well to hold
it while i worked on the top nut. You have to use caution so as not to mar
the shaft where it will travel in the strut . a pair of spring compressors
will be needed as well as jack stands, safety first. There will be a slotted
nut that needs to be removed to get the strut mount off. I did not use the
VW special tool here either . A few taps with a nail set in the nut grooves
and the nut came loose. Assemble is just the reverse You will need an
alignment when you are done .

As for the brakes . The minimum width of a rotor is 10mm I believe so the
first thing to do is make sure that you actually need the rotors. Assuming
that you i would just get new ones at Pep boys or PartsBin.com might as
well get new pads at the same time . I think that you will have to remove a
bracket from the wheel to get the rotor off , no big deal but the bolts will
be tight as hell you'll need a cheater pipe to aid your leverage. The screw
that holds the rotor on can be a pain , the above site gives some good
advise on how to deal.If it breaks off you can without or have a couple
ready from the dealer.

If you need any help , email me an I'll try to help. As for Firestone , all
I can say is that at best they are guilty of a conflict of interest. I once
spent 4 hours waiting for tires to be mounted a a local Firestone shop here
in Connecticut and believe when I say that they tried to up sell every
single customer that went past me . It was like a comedy . the service
manager would come out with a grave look on his face followed by a service
tech and they would explain how they found this problem or that while doing
an oil change or whatever . Every single person! I really can't understand
how the States can give so much power to these independent shops to do
inspections. What do they think will happen.