Old September 7th 04, 07:50 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Hi,

Libby wrote:

>The issue is that the *new* requirements were *not* in place when I
>bought the car. I *expected* to maintain the car as it was delivered
>to me by the manufacturer

The car was delivered to you by the dealer I presume. Not by the
manufacturer. So you have a case with the dealer in the first place,
no?

>-- synthetic oils were not part of the
>maintenance standard at the time of purchase. I now have the first
>*additional* cost of changing over to synthetic -- $78 for the Passat,
>likely a bit more for the Audi -- plus additional costs for synthetic
>oil changes. The cheapest approved oil is $12.75 per quart.

Ok. Your maintenance cost increased.

>To meet warranty requirements, a qualified synthetic must be used and
>changed every at least every 5k miles or 6 mos. The notice states that
>failing to do so voids the engine warranty.

Do you have Audi warranty or a third party warranty? 5k miles and 6
mos does not at all sound like VW/Audi's service plan. There have been
numerous threads in the recent past asking the famous oil question and
if it would be ok to go as far as 30.000 km between oil changes. That
is what VW/Audi recommends in many cars now.

Who issued these notices? VW, Audi or the dealer?

Did you ask Audi or VW about their opinion? You could just sell the
car if it's too expensive for you now.

Regards

Wolfgang

--