Old September 7th 04, 07:25 PM
Libby

Mike Smith > wrote in message >...
> Why does the fact that the problem is being addressed *now* mean that
> you shouldn't pay for it? Suppose the current oil requirements had been
> in place when you bought the car. Would you have expected not to pay
> for your oil changes then?

The issue is that the *new* requirements were *not* in place when I
bought the car. I *expected* to maintain the car as it was delivered
to me by the manufacturer -- synthetic oils were not part of the
maintenance standard at the time of purchase. I now have the first
*additional* cost of changing over to synthetic -- $78 for the Passat,
likely a bit more for the Audi -- plus additional costs for synthetic
oil changes. The cheapest approved oil is $12.75 per quart. You've
made up a scenario different than what's actually happening *now* --
it would be silly to waste time discussing suppositions.

Peter Cressman > wrote in message .rogers.com>...
> Is this a new notice that VW recently issued?? Our New Beetle is a 1.8T
> and I haven't gotten a notice from VW regarding synthetic oil...granted,
> I've used Mobil 1 since the 8K service...but I'm just being nosy.

The notices were sent in early August. FYI -- Mobil 1 0W-40 does not
meet the new requirements. It meets VW505.00, not the new 505.01
requirements.

"Will" > wrote in message news:<OY9%c.321231$M95.75857@pd7tw1no>...
> It's my understanding that synthetic oil doesn't need to be changed as
> often.
> When did the dealer tell you to come back for the next oil change?

To meet warranty requirements, a qualified synthetic must be used and
changed every at least every 5k miles or 6 mos. The notice states that
failing to do so voids the engine warranty.