Old June 30th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default If Only He'd Taken The Lane

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>> Not outdriving one's brakes is the rule no matter what kind of vehicle
>>> one is driving.

>>You're driving, accelerating to merge into an open gap when the arsehole
>>accelerates and closes off that gap.

> Leaving a gap behind him for you to erge into.

Not the same with a bicycle. Someone can accelerate and block you when
you are at a point of no return. You can actually be in the gap when the
driver accelerates and blocks you. Because of the size and speed
differential, 'behind him' becomes 'into him'. Of course an experienced
bicyclist in traffic expects this and can deal with or prevent it, the
inexperienced bicyclist however could end up crashing.

>>Bicycle brakes aren't the greatest

> All the more reason to never outdrive them.

In order to compete for space with motor vehicles, one does have to
outdrive the brakes in the sense you are describing them. However because
as bicycle is small, there is usually a way to compensate, for instance a
move to the left or right will allow one to stop safely along side a car.

Which reminds me of arseholes who have to pass at traffic signals. they
force their way past and then jam on the brakes. I have at times ended up
just going right past them because they took my braking space and well,
if they are going to pass rudely using their power, I'll pass rudely
using small size and take back my spot in the queue. (a majority of these
drivers fail to accelerate at the same rate as I do on the bicycle when
the light turns green)

> In any case, either this guy wasn't paying attention, or he failed to
> leave himself an out.

I stated he is likely inexperienced.

>>But this brings up a flaw with your bike lane concept, nobody is to park
>>in traffic lanes.

> Huh?

Parking in 'bicycle' lanes forcing these sort of situations.