Old April 15th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech

Default '00 Voyager Compressor questions

The clutch on my '00 Voyager's compressor grenaded itself this winter.
I'm presuming the compressor siezed and the compressor engaging with
the defroster caused the bearings to fail. I guess I was lucky it
didn't shoot the bearings out through the radiator, and I was close
enough to home that I made it home on battery with no belt turning the
alternator.

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm setting about the business of
getting the AC system back up to snuff so that my wife and kids are
happy. My research thus far tells me a clutch is nearly as expensive
as a clutch and a compressor together. Here are my questions:

- recommendations on buying compressor/clutch off ebay?
- reman compressor/clutch combos are about half the cost of a new one
(140 vs. 280). What's the life expectency of a good reman?
- I know I'll want to replace the drier along with the compressor.
What are the chances I'll need an expansion valve (I think Chrysler
calls this an H block)? How do I diagnose the if the H block is
crudded up? Throw some 134 in and see if it chills?

Note: No matter what I do, I do plan to have the system evac'd, drawn
down, and filled back up with the proper amount of oil and 134 when I'm
done. Should I have them flush the system out when we do that?