Old June 14th 05, 01:00 AM
ArchTaib

what's there to turn up? everything there makes sense.. i think. battery
provides power to the car, alternator keeps batter charged, voltage
regualtor keeps the power output in check, and there will be a sensor there
somewhere to signal the guage on the dash what to display. the only thing
that doesn't make sense is the term 'generator'.. i'm not sure why a shop
manual would call it that, that's not what an alternator does. an generator
is a simple device, really.. and incredibly inneficient and weak. i don't
think they have used generators in cars in more than 25 years.

an alternator, on the other hand, is immeasurably more efficient when
compared to a generator, has slip rings instead of commutators, and produces
up to 120 volts DC via a voltage regulator and state regualtor.

">>measure voltage at battery >>if its 14.5 or more the regualtor is
ocked" --true.. but the regualtor is part of the alternator. thusly, the
alternator is "focked"