Old March 9th 05, 03:02 PM
Speedy Jim

Remco wrote:
> Hey Brian
>
> I've been wondering how you made out with it. Sorry to hear they are
> still stuck like 'dogs in heat' as I heard it put so well here
>
> You had some space between the transmission and engine, right?
> If so, I was thinking that maybe along the top mounting holes you
> could insert a bolt . A nut with washer you put being between the
> cases, threading it onto this bolt. The end of the bolt would sit --
> not in the mating hole on the opposite side -- but on a piece of metal
> covering this hole. Tightening that nut would cause it to want to pull
> the cases apart. It would only pull it from the top but maybe some
> wedges along the bottom could help it all along so the pulling is all
> done equally.
> Just a local brainfart - not sure if it works. Hope you get it apart
> soon.
>
> Think of this problem this way: once you get it all off, you'll be able
> to brag about it like it was a badge of honor
>
> Remco

One problem with applying brute force to separate the dogs
is that the likely result is the splined coupling *inside*
the tranny will pull apart. Then the diff has to be pulled
out to fix that:-(

Not sure if this is physically possible, but if a thin steel
wedge could be inserted into the gap, one could push it against
the tranny shaft and then strike it with hammer blows.
The resulting shock might very well break the rust gripping
the splines on the clutch disc.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/