Old March 28th 06, 04:59 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Default It's not Speed, it's Not Stopping

Harry K wrote:
> gpsman wrote:
> > I'll let you come up with your own crash scenerio where 22350 isn't
> > applicable... as an exercise in critical thinking. I'll bet it will
> > only take a minute.

> O.K. Note that the OP said nothing at all about what speed the traffic
> flow was, only that the Honda was only going about 40. So here is
> where 22350 wouldn't apply (and I'll bet doesn't in most freeway
> crashes in CA):

OP posted: "He was slothcellerating along until he had to slam on
his brakes because traffic had stopped in front of him." And-

"So traffic gets moving near an offramp as it always does from exiting
cars leaving, creating a gap Californians floor it to close before the
onramp, thus causing abrupt braking. Well, for most people. Blue
Accord didn't feel a need to brake this time..."

.... leading me to deduce traffic was in a state of "stop & go". And-

"The Honda wasn't going more than 35-40 mph..." I think adds additional
credibility to my assessment.

Traffic in SoCal -might- flow at that speed if it weren't for all the
idiots changing lanes attempting to get "ahead". But they don't and it
doesn't. Traffic in OP's scenrio is "stop and go".

OP posted: "I decided to stay in #4 because the asshat in front of me
wasn't holding the wheel of his light blue 80's Accord and wasn't
paying **** for attention."

You'll notice -he- was planning a lane change himself, as if one lane
was going to have a significant advantage in that traffic during his
trip of approx. 40 miles. Just threw that in to support my allegation
that CA drivers commonly change lanes without thinking and for nothing.

> Traffic flow is well under posted, on ramp traffic pulls into too small
> of a gap, driver causing is talking on CP, drinking coffee or some such
> paying no attenttion to traffic. Crash. So just HTF is that speed
> related?

I would say it isn't. That's wasn't very hard, was it?

> Any cop that instantly concludes it is speed related before doing an
> investigation (which is what you just did) needs remedial training.

I think it's obvious 22350 applies to OP's scenerio. Would you like to
point out where it doesn't? Or another code that covers the scenerio
better? I think that would be more persuasive to my POV.
-----

- gpsman