Old February 18th 05, 04:57 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Robert Morien > wrote:

>The theory is to gradually make cars unattractive. In doing this new
>developments occur near the mass/rapid transit lines instead of hiway
>exits. I've also seen some theoretical developments that were more like
>mini-towns with most of the "necessities within walking distance of all
>housing AND a transit line either thru the middle or near the most dense
>population point connecting to the next development.

Unfortunately, mathematics and economics severely limit the
scalability of this approach. There's only so much space within
walking distance of each station. Once that's filled up, everyone
else has to live and work elsewhere. And if that's the most desirable
space, it'll quickly become enormously expensive because it's both
desirable AND rare, meaning only the wealthiest people and companies
will locate there.