Old April 18th 04, 10:52 PM
N9NWO

Steve Firth wrote:
> R. David Steele /OMEGA> wrote:
>

>>when I tell the local cops about how British bobbies drive the
>>Jag XJ8, they are ready to swap their Crown Vics in for the XJ8.

> There's one American cop car that is a poor copy of the older XJ40 - I
> think it's a Pontiac. Can't recall the name of it, but it has the same
> overall look of an XJ40 with the same square headlights.
>

>>Now there would be a sales tool! US folks do like to buy what
>>the coppers drive.

> Humm, very few UK coppers get to drive XJ8s. Nowadays they are mostly
> reserved for Whitehall (government) use. The standard "tool" for
> motorway work is the Volvo T5. Most local coppers use a Vauxhall Astra
> (GM) or a Peugeot (French but built in Coventry). I couldn't see any
> doughnut sucking American Cop fitting behind the steering wheel of the
> either of last two cars.
>
> One of the police stations I visit for my work has a fleet of Ford
> Explorers.

Mostly around here it is Crown Victoria but we are
seeing more Chevy Impalas as there has been a law
suit with Ford and Ford will not see to many cities
in my state.

And we have less over weight police these days. For one
thing, the average LEO has only 3 years experience (most
quit before they reach five years). Lots of young, athletic
guys with big egos.