Old July 25th 05, 03:52 AM
Oppie

Default lw300 brakes

My 2001 lw300 has been getting to require more brake pedal force to stop.
The traction control has also been shutting down and ses lamp is on. Haven't
read out the code yet ( haven't been able to borrow a reader just yet). I
reset the codes by pulling the fuse but they came back.

Front brakes were OK. Rear brakes were the problem.
The caliper is a dual piston, one on each side of the disc and the caliper
itself is a rigid mount. Using a drift, I pushed out the two pins that
secure the pads into the caliper and pulled out the keeper spring. The pads
should now be able to pull out, perhaps needing only the pistons to be
retracted slightly. Outboard pads on both rears were fine but the inboards
were solidly rusted in place. Took a bit of effort to break loose and
remove. Both had far less wear than the outboard shoes indicating that they
had rusted solid and were not functional at all. I removed the rust so that
there was a decent fit again and added a small (very small) dab of
never-seize to the tracks.

While I was at it, rotated the tires and replaced the fuel filter. Old
filter, you could hardly blow through.

So far, no ses and engine is running smooth (also did an oil change using a
5-minute engine flush) and brake pedal effort is back to normal.