Old January 15th 05, 11:26 PM
Chopface

cr4wley wrote:
> I bought this car about 2 months ago, and I'm jsut about to hit 115,000
> miles.
>
> I did some calling to see if the previous owners had changed the timing
> belt and they said they had not. So I'm pretty much way over due for a
> tim belt ey?
>
> any suggestions on how to get the best replacement parts/labor?
> THANKS!!!
>
> -justin crawley

Preludes are front wheel drive and only 4 cylinders, right? If that is
true there may not be a harmonic balancer shaft that has its own belt
also connected to the crankshaft like Honda V6's do. It should be a
fairly simple job for a competent mechanic with the right tools.

Honda service manuals from Helm Inc. are really nice. I would go with a
Gates belt. The timing belt I bought for my '91 Civic had Honda and
Gates stamped on it. The labor will be the most expensive cost unless
you do the work or a friend. At your mileage I wouild also replace the
timing belt tensioner and the water pump with genuine Honda parts.
Beware the crank pulley bolt. I got mine off with a nice 4 ft. pipe put
over a good quality, long, 1/2" drive breaker bar. You will also need a
long ( 20" for my Civic) 1/2" drive extension to get outside the fender.

You may also want to use Google to search the archives of
rec.autos.makers.honda:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...s.makers.honda

Mark