Old May 29th 05, 03:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Steve wrote:

> While we are on the topic why does the new 300 turn off the daytime
> light on the side you signal with? It doesn't look right

This is because DC chose the least-effective, highest-glare DRL
implementation for their current models: they reduce voltage to the high
beam headlamps. The straight-ahead glare is so high it would interfere
with other drivers' ability to see the turn signal, but if they reduced
the straight-ahead intensity any, the horizontal angles of visibility of
the DRLs would be even narrower than it already is and they wouldn't
comply with the law. The only way to comply with the law with crummy DRLs
like this is to turn one off when that side's turn signal is on.

They should've used separate dedicated DRLs or, since they're famously
averse to doing lighting correctly, turn signal DRLs.