Old May 17th 04, 03:14 AM
Steve

RM wrote:

> Thanks for the great advice guys....I thought about installing a pertronix
> (sp?) electronic ignition sometime in the future, but will likely keep the
> point system for now.

I know a couple of guys running the Pertronix unit, and they really like
it. Fits in a stock distributor, gives electronic ignition stability and
reliability. But the distributor has to be in good MECHANICAL shape
(bushings, mech. advance, and vacuum advance) in order to use it.

The 63 300 is somewhat of a daily driver, as far as I
> am trying to get it as reliable as possible so that I feel comfortable in
> letting my wife drive in the summer, which was the main purpose of
> purchasing the car in the first place. There are many many non-originals on
> this car that I'm trying to slowly put back, and fortunately the distributor
> is original and for now would like to keep it that way. I have no grand
> illusions about entering into national shows as the car needs some work, but
> I do like to show her in non-judging categories at local events, simply
> because there were only 1800 made, and while you see a hundred cameros,
> chevelles and firebirds at most shows, I've yet to see one 50's or 60's 300,
> even at mopar shows where barracudas, dusters, chargers, and roadrunners
> abound.

It might be easiest to go down to NAPA, plunk down for a rebuilt
common-as-dirt single-point distributor (ask for one for a '67 to '69
New Yorker with a 440) and then put the Pertronix unit on that. With the
Pertronix, there is no benefit to dual points anyway. Put the rarer,
more valuable Prestolite dual point on a shelf until you can send it off
and have it carefully restored.