Old March 1st 05, 01:28 PM
The Malt Hound

"Michael Low" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the input. I've never seen Pentosin before but you're
> right, Pentosin CHF7.1 is listed by BMW as their recommended
> steering
> system fluid. But a quick check on the Internet picked up a
> description of CHF7.1 as being green in colour. Is that right?
> Otherwise, it is Dextron III in my car.
>
> I looked in the last E39 manual (for N. America) and there is no
> mention of what the owner should use. It seems to suggest you have
> the
> garage do it... not a good idea as Dave pointed out.

Nope, the can is green, the fluid is clear.

The reservoir will have a green ring around the fill cap hole if you
are supposed to use the Pentosin CHF7.1. If that is what is called
for, that is what you need to use. Nothing else. Use of generic
"power steering fluid" or ATF will likely cause problems if mixed with
the original pentosin fluid.

-Fred W