Old July 22nd 05, 01:54 PM
carl

> > Carl

> A rapping noise on overrun as you describe sounds like rod bearings to
> me, GF had the same noise on her Corrado and new rod bearing shells
> made it go away
>
> nate

Thanks, Nate,

If you're talking about low end bearings, it is relatively good news for
repair. But how did it come ? Bad oil, bad load ? As I drive at low rpm, on
low throttle, would that be enough for damage to occur in a short period of
time ? I imagine oil pressure then doesn't get that high , ie. high enough.

This car ran fine for a long time, until there was an oil problem and fuel
system issue, then after a power test it ran worse. It is possible the
damage dates from then. But after letting the car sit for two years, at
first there was no noise. I'm worried timing has been altered by someone
turning the distributor 4 degrees, any-clockwise.

This distributor has a camshaft sensor, which doubles as a crankshaft sensor
with magnetic markings. A mechanic said you could turn it as much as you'd
like, the computer would still find the right TDP ? If not, could this have
any influence on rod bearings wear ?

Thanks again,

Carl