Old November 22nd 04, 04:13 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Removing the flywheel won't damage the seal, so you can use it again.
Replacing the pressure plate isn't necessary IMO, if it is not worn. Only
the friction disk needs to be replaced if it is contaminated with oil.
Clean the flywheel and pressure plate with a degreaser to remove eny traces
of oil, and unpolish the surfaces with abrasive paper.
Check that the O-ring inside the flywheel was installed properly and that it
was in good condition. This might be leaking, and oil that leaks past this
o-ring eventually reaches the friction disk. This O-ring (graphite coated)
usually comes allready damaged in many engine gasket sets, so you have to
buy 2-3 sets to get a good ring. Oil it slightly before installation. This
ring needs to be replaced every time you reinstall the flywheel.

Bill,
'67 Bug.