Old July 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default Observations for the day

necromancer wrote:

> 2: Proof that cops have quotas? I'm heading down 17 south (in the proper
> right lane) toward the Jekyll Causeway and approaching the Lanier
> Bridge. Approaching on my left and preparing to pass is a 5th wheel
> being towed by a as we will see woefully underpowered Toyota (I believe)
> pickup. As soon as we reach the bridge and begin the climb, the pickup-
> trailer combo starts slowing dramatically.
> Thanks for reading my rant.

You're welcome.
The underpowered truck situation is common in hilly areas. I used to
see it a lot in Colorado. However (as you may guess) my view of the
situation is a bit different.
The truck gets all the speed he can approaching the hill/bridge, so as
to make it as far as he can before slowing a lot. Once he starts
slowing, the trick is to get to the right. Sometimes it doesn't work
because even though he is signaling his intention, the impatient ones
behind him keep passing on the right. So he can't. So more people get
angry, even as they keep him from moving right. Kinda funny to watch.
You see cars do that a LOT to 18-wheelers.

That may not have been the exact situation in your case though.

Sometimes you just can't tell by looking.
Once, at Independence Pass in Colorado, I had a vapor lock just about
exactly at the top of the pass, about 200 feet or so short of a parking
lot entrance. The car stopped, I couldn't push it, and the shoulder
was very very small. All I could do was pull over for two minutes, as
far as I could, and the the vapor lock go away. What to do? 4-ways
on, for whatever that might do (traffic is slow there). Might as well
look at my map for a minute while I wait. Well, not without some
justification, some folks decided that I parked an operating car there
just to read the map, and I got an earful of precise but improper
language. No much point in getting mad back, and no chance to explain.
Der ya go. Moral of the story: not all situations are as they seem.