Old June 21st 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default caring for a turbo engine?

Zarnold Edward Quigley wrote:

> So I'm looking for a new car... test drove a new Subara Impreza 2.5i
> yesterday... too small/seat was uncomfortable, and the 4cyl was rather
> weak for my taste. However, I like Subaru's AWD on every model and
> decent reliability, so I'm thinking of heading back to the dealership,
> trying a Legacy (which is larger, and hopefully more comfortable) GT,
> with the turbocharged 250hp engine. If I decide to buy this, is there
> anything in particular I should be concerned about with the turbo
> engine? Anything I have to do differently as opposed to a conventional
> car? If it's going to be less reliable than the average car, I might
> be inclined to look elsewhere. But I live in a place where winters
> suck, so AWD is nice to have, hence my interest in the Subaru.
>
> Thanks,

If you like it .....go for it.

I had a 90 GT auto wagon for 6 years and replaced it with an 02 GT
manual wagon a year ago. The turbo is great especially when it kicks in
as you're passing. Sucks the doors right off them.

Three things to be aware of: if you're canning it and I mean realy
giving it heaps make sure you let it idle for a minute or two before you
switch off. Just to let the turbo cool down. In normal day to day
driving, not a problem.

Second is to change the oil regularly. Don't skip oilchanges.

The third is a bigger worry. Your licence. My daughter bought me a radar
detector when I bought my second wagon. I normally travel as fast as I
can get away with but it's nice just to know where the cops are.

bugalugs