Old October 10th 04, 03:56 PM
Bill Putney

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> That really depends on the battery material and composition. Lead and
> Cadimum are nasty things in the environment and so battery handling
> for those batteries must be more expensive since you have to recycle them.

Hmmm - I know that one of the items that is mandated by Ford and GM to
be included in a PPAP package (that's the first-item approval package)
from a supplier of *any* new vehicle parts is a signed statement that
the parts contain zero cadmium. However I guess, if the
economic/technical/political incentives are large enough, they would
make an exception where it made sense (i.e., these batteries) - as long
as some air-tight (and prohibitively expensive and/or hard to enforce?)
handling procedures were incorporated into the life-cycle controls.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')