Old March 13th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Help with A/C diagnosis?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:54:09 -0500, "Kevin Highsmith"
> wrote:

>Hi all
>
> 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/Vortech 350
>
>Just warmed up enough here to turn the A/C on for the first time the other
>day and it blew hot. It was working fine last season, so I figured it just
>needed a recharge.

The method they give you is for the first can on a completely empty
system. In your case the system isn't completely empty, its just low.
in a low charge situation this method will never charge the system.
You have to find the low pressure cutoff switch and jumper it so that
the compressor will continue to run while you are charging.

That being said you really should take it to a shop and let someone
who knows what they are doing look at it. Those bargain cans aren't a
bargain. You are only seeing one side of the picture with that can...
You have no idea what is going on with the high side and you realy
have to see the whole picture to charge the system properly.

Steve B.