Old December 5th 04, 03:51 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 04:08:27 GMT, "Bubbles" > wrote:

>Today while at a stoplight the bugger behind me hit me when the light turned
>green. I guess they didn't wait to see if I started moving. Anyway no damage
>to the bumper so I just let it go. However it got me thinking of some
>things:
>
>1. How fast could the car have been going in that short period of time?

He could have been doing the top speed that car is capable of.
If you meant *should* instead of *could*, that's a good questuion, and
I wouldn't hazzard a guess without knowing a lot more. Although, "not
fast enough to hit you" would be appropriate.
>2. Are all rear bumpers generally rated for only 5mph? And what exactly does
>that mean?

The rating concerns how fast another vehicle can be going and hot the
bumper (or how fast you're going whan you hit something) without
causeing damage over a certain dollar amount.
And, no, not all bumpers are so rated. Most are, though, at a minimum.
>3. How fast do you have to be hit for whiplash to occur? No I do not have
>any pain.

Not very fast at all. Under 5 mph can do it.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"