Old January 1st 05, 01:27 AM
Okiemoose

The short answer is yes. State sales taxes paid with respect to a vehicle
lease are deductible in the same manner as if the vehicle was purchased
(generally as a Form 1040 Schedule A itemized deduction).

If the vehicle is a business vehicle (whether leased or purchased), your
deduction would instead be a business expense deduction based upon the
percentage of business use of the vehicle (usually deducted on Form 1040
Schedule C or C-EZ). If the vehicle is not used 100% for business (be sure
to keep a log of business use), the deduction is split between Schedule C
and Schedule A. For example, let's say the state sales taxes paid on the
vehicle (leased or purchased) amount to $100. You use the vehicle for
business 7,500 miles of the 10,000 total miles the vehicle is used during
the year 2004. This equates to 75% business use (and 25% personal use).
You would have a personal, Schedule A sales tax deduction of $25 (25% of
$100) and a business sales tax deduction of $75 (75% of $100).

If there is no business use of the vehicle, then the total sales taxes paid
on the vehicle are a Schedule A deduction.

Hope this helps you!

David
2000 coupe, MY