Old December 5th 04, 04:57 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 12/4/2004 6:32 PM, Dave Head wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:47:31 -0800, Garth Almgren > wrote:
>
>>Around 12/4/2004 9:05 AM, Dave Head wrote:
>>
>>>OK, say I stay right and the typical duckling comes up and sits on my left rear
>>>at 62 mph. Now _he's_ an LLB that people _can't_ get around and I'm an
>>>_enabler_ for not accelerating or braking.

>>I wouldn't call you an enabler, but accelerating or braking to dislodge
>>them would be the nice thing to do.

> I would call someone who didn't do something about a duckling an LLB enabler.
>
> Now to explore the options.
>
> First, acclerating is out of the question.

Never!

> Rt. 3 east of Fredericksburg, Va.
> has, most of the time, 2 to 3 police vehicles, a combination of sheriff's cars
> from 2 counties plus the state police. I'm driving 7 over because they ignore
> it. I'm not accelerating to the 15 or so over that is required to exercise the
> maneuver of getting in front of the duckling.

So, why punish everyone else for something you're afraid to do? Slow
down to 5 over, and leave yourself a little leeway.

> The other option is hitting the brakes. Most of the ducklings will brake too.

Then you're not braking hard enough.

> If they don't, then I end up _behind_ them going 1 - 3 mph less, because
> they'll drop back to the speed of the next car they catch in the right lane,
> just like they did to me.

Then it's time to start exercising your "flash-to-pass" muscles, and
perhaps "Muggins'" charge and brake routine...

>>> IOW, I'm supposed to do something
>>>about _his_ bad driving? Don't think so...

>>You're under no obligation to do something about their bad driving, but
>>again it would be the nice thing to do. "Do unto others" and all that.
>>

>>>Then we both catch a slower car, I get slowed down to 58 mph or whatever, and
>>>you get 2 cars in the right lane plus the duckling doing the LLB thing.

>>What, out of the blue? How come you didn't see this slower car before
>>you got stuck behind it? You should have seen the slower traffic, speed
>>up,

> No speeding up!

Why the heck not?

> 7 over is about the most I'm going to go on SR 3. Cops all over the place...

Well, then slow down. You said so yourself that you've only got two
options, and you're afraid of one, so the only thing to do is try the
other. Either one you choose, it's better than giving in to the dark
side and becoming that which you hate.

>>and gotten in front of the LLB before getting stuck.

> And this maneuver could be construed as aggressive driving.

Except that it's not really. It is a decisively swift precision pass,
just like they should have taught you in driver's ed. Safest way to do
it, in fact.

> THere's a hot button for that with most cops here.

And I think we can agree that most cops are morons when it comes to
anything relating to actual safety, like LLBing and minimizing passing time.

>>> So, if I stay in the right lane, things just get worse for everybody.

>>So, don't stay. Speed up, pass on the left, and return to your chosen
>>cruising speed in the right lane once you've passed slower traffic.

> Then I end up going back and forth, back and forth, from right to left to
> right.

So, you *are* afraid of changing lanes? What, are your mirrors broken or
something? There's nothing wrong with going back and forth, back and
forth. It's called passing, and that's what you're *suppose* to do when
you pass.

> THAT ALSO attracts the attention of the cops, who will attempt to
> figure out some kinda charge for it.

So, the less time you spend in the left lane, the less you have to worry
about police.

> Speeding is usually easy, and I _am_ 7
> over. But if I'm 7 over in the left lane, I'm just like half the other cars
> around here. You have to remember I'm not alone around here. There's lotsa
> people driving the left lane.

That doesn't make it right.

> When I find a slower one, I pass 'em on the
> right. If a faster one finds me, they pass me on the right.

Now, wouldn't it be easier if the slower guy was on the right to begin with?

> Mostly. Every
> now and then there's a hardhead that will just tailgate (but never use the horn
> or flash the lights). I just let 'em.

Now *that's* dangerous.

>>Ever wonder why you are one of the only "regulars" here that seems to be
>>having trouble with putting this concept into practice?

> I suspect I'm just one of the only regulars that will point out how pointless
> and counterproductive it is to attempt to do it the way a lot of people are
> suggesting.

It is not in any way pointless and counterproductive. I find it to be
far more relaxing to drive properly, keeping right except to pass slower
vehicles, and I live in one of the top 5 worst cities in the country for
traffic.

>>>At least when I drive left, the duckling is scraped off periodically by the
>>>slower car in the right lane, and other people can pass me just fine... on the
>>>right.

>>If there is room for you to be passed on the right, you should be in the
>>right lane. End of story.

> Nice mantra, but in practice, it really sucks for everybody.

It's bliss for me. You should actually *try* driving properly some day.
You might enjoy it.

>>>Fact is, there's gonna be an LLB one way or the other,

>>There would be one less if you would stop contributing to the problem.

> I do stop contributing to the problem, but preventing the ducklings from
> succeeding in clogging up the road.

By becoming a duckling yourself? "If you can't beat them, join them"
doesn't fly with me.

>>>most of the time. If I
>>>stay in the right lane, you won't be able to get around the LLB in the left
>>>lane.

>>Why not? Are you legally blind or something?

> 'Cuz I'll be in the right lane, and the duckling will be LLBing on my left
> rear.

So, get rid of him. Don't be a wuss, man!

>>IOW, what prevents you from driving exactly like most of us do, and keep
>>right except to pass? Are you afraid of making lane changes or something?

> As a matter of fact, yes. 1st, they're just something else to go wrong, plus
> they attract police attention.

Who the heck cares? You'll be driving properly, and that's all that
matters. Let the police pull over the LLB duckling for once.

>>> If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>>>right lane will be clear, most of the time.

>>Which is just plain wrong.

> No, its a fact.

And just plain wrong. If "the right lane will be clear, most of the
time" then you should be IN the right lane, "most of the time."

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.