Old December 30th 04, 11:57 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

I remember Consumer Report's auto issue a few years back, it listed the
Cherokee with a poor reliability rating even though the majority of its
member-reported system by system ratings were average or better than
average. In contrast, one of the Toyota models had worse than average system
by system ratings but a better than average overall reliability rating.

"Eric" > wrote in message
> So who gave them a terrible reliablity rating? And what exactly was used

> determine that rating? I've seen nothing but bulletproof 4.0L XJs running
> around everywhere.
>
> I had issues with the front end of my wife's, but that was my own fault
> after botching a lift.
>
> Eric
> 99 TJ SE
> 00 XJ LTD
>
> "Handywired" > wrote in message
> >I need a good family camping/skiing/adventure rig. My TJ has been good
> >enough
> > to me that I am considering a Cherokee even though they have a terrible
> > reliability rating (but then, so does the TJ and mine has been great).

> > see
> > decent ones from the mid-90's for as cheap as $3000 or so; considering
> > that
> > this rig will be rode hard and put away wet, with dogs, food, gear,

kids,
> > etc
> > in and out, I am leaning towards just such a cheap "beater" for this
> > purpose,
> > rather than a probably more reliable but much more expensive Toyota or
> > Nissan
> > or other Japanese SUV.
> >
> > So... how do cherokees hold up once they get some miles piled on 'em?

I'd