Old October 22nd 04, 08:50 AM
Nik&Andy

I would agree, check the Lambda sensor, you may not have a cat anymore, but
the lambda sensor still checks your fuel mixture is correct.

You may also want to get the coils(s) checked and the cambelt checked, it is
very common to have a cambelt badly fitted, just one notch out can cause
backfires etc... - I have known people get rid of seemingly knackered cars
only to find out it was nothing.

the only other device I can think of that effects timing is the crankshaft
sensor....

Andy