Old May 22nd 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Can long nose, (skinny) crank be installed without pulling the engine?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I recently purchased a super low mileage 1990 miata with short crank.
> It's really beautiful and looks like new. I'd like to have the skinny
> crank installed for a personal feeling of security when I'm driving
> through the desert at night. At his point I don't have a handle on the
> possible cost of the replacement.
>
> Can it be installed without pulling the engine? Does anyone know
> whether it's the kind of job a local import shop could do or should I
> go to the mazda dealer?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ralph

In theory it could be done. In practice it would be much easier to remove
the engine. It is a task that should be done by a very experienced shop,
which may exclude your local dealer.
But, I b'lieve all that really need be done is to replace the bolt holding
the pulley to the crankshaft with the upgraded bolt and properly tighten it,
using thread locker.