Old April 11th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ethanol in 1978 Buick: Problematic, or OK?

wrote:

> Expect a power decrease as well.
> Dave

Maybe.......and maybe not. About 15 years ago (I think anyway) my
parents had one of those crappy Chrysler "K" cars. I was living 500
miles away at the time and they always told me that it got 22-23 MPG
with regular 87 octane gas and about 28-30 with the 89 octane ethanol
blend. (10% ethanol, not the current E85 that's getting REAL popular
around here) I never believed it until I had to put a few hundred miles
on the car myself and they were correct.
I think you have to do a case by case study on each car. In my parents
case, I believe the car had a lot of carbon in the combustion chamber
and was just welcoming the increase in octane. It really woke up with
the ethanol blend gas and had a noticeable increase in power. Like I
said, this was only one car. Each one may be different.