Old June 17th 05, 02:35 PM
Daniel

I copied this from 2004.
Today, computer designed tread patterns (tiny variations around the
circumference to minimize noise) can give quality and durability at
lower cost, if the casing is well made.
Highly advertised name brands are going to cost more due to marketing
expenses not necessarily related to tire quality. I've seen comments
where people preferred Yokohama to Michelin, and I was disappointed
with Pirelli.
The only way you're really going to know is to try them for yourself
over time.
One thing I always like to do is physically examine and inspect the
unmounted new tire before deciding. That way you can see and feel the
weight, flexibility and general quality of construction inside and out.
====================
Prior comments from others:
As a former manager of a performance auto service center, . . .
A good bit of the
problem we had with radial and other tire faults were the brand of
tires
themselves. Of the major tire brands, we had many problems with
Firestones,
Pirellis, and Goodyear - they just always seemed to have problems with
them,
no matter what price tire we had. I inherited a 78 Caddy with Goodyear

tires, and two tires blew out on me because of radial belts flaws which

caused the outer rubber to separate from the belts and go out-of-round.

We never had any problems with customers who came in with tires (sold
and/or installed by us or not) by Michelin, BF Goodrich, Dunlop,
Yokohama,
secondary brands like Hankooks and the former Western Auto store-brand
tires and Sears store-brands (which, except for the Sears tires made by

Goodyear I have run on various personal family cars) which I've heard
of no problems with any of those brands. However, I would not
recommend
the NTB stores for any work even though they are owned by Sears
These comments don't reflect newer tire design, but draw your own
conclusions.
Like I said, I like the Yokohamas overall, seem to be a very well
constructed tire at excellent pricing, putting their money into the
product instead of spending it to create name recognition through
expensive advertising.
As usual on these groups, just my opinon.