Old November 14th 04, 07:19 AM
351CJ

No!

The 4 barrel Cleveland engines all came with 4 barrel heads from the
factory. The 4 barrel heads have larger ports as well as valves, and the
came in either open chamber or closed (quench) chamber styles. I have some
of both types. All 4 barrel heads have the digit 4 cast on the top corners
just outside the valve covers. While All 2 barrel heads have the digit 2
cast on the top corners just outside the valve covers.

You CAN NOT determine weather the block is a four bolt main by the casting
number. You have to pull the oil pan and visually look at the main caps to
tell.
My 1971 four bolt main, open chamber 4 barrel heads, Cobra Jet engines
casting numbers do not indicate that is what it is, according to any
reference sources.

My guess is someone swapped the 4 barrel heads for 2 barrel heads, or you
have a complete two barrel engine that someone stuck a four barrel intake on
it.

By The Way:
Don't get caught up in this CRAP about the 4 barrel heads not producing
torque. There is no lack of torque in a 4 barrel Cleveland. Anyone who has
had the pleasure of driving one knows this. :-)

"Dean" > wrote in message
> Thanks guys for all the info. I know all this,but still can't fiqure out

if
> the 73 Q code Cobra Jet had 2bbl heads. Dean.
> "Dean" > wrote in message
> > Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car,

but
> > got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked

the
> > casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold

was
> > 4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2
> > in the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that
> > someone removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left

the
> > 4 bolt main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was

planning
> > on placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess
> > my guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and

4bbl