Old March 11th 05, 04:49 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in
> .umich.edu:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2005, Jim Yanik wrote:
>>
>>> How many cars these days come stock with a -noisy- exhaust system?

>> Define "noisy".

> Paraphrasing a USSC Justice said about porn;"I know it when I hear it".
> If it's noticeable among other auto traffic,then it's noisy.

Defining porn is subjective. Noise levels can be quantified mathematically.
That's why that SCOTUS justice (Harry Blackmun?) wasn't able to come up with
any judgment better than that. In fact, even in that case the justices had
to qualify their opinion--they could not nail down a hard definition of
porn. The best they could do is exclude some of the previously existing
loopholes.

Here we have a comparatively easy job: motor vehicles operating on a road,
not to exceed this particular decibel level in normal, well-maintained
operation. That won't be too hard to do, except the automakers' and
motorcycle lobbies will fight them tooth and nail.