Old July 16th 05, 04:42 AM
\Key

"Charlie Funk" > wrote in
message ...

> "'Key" > wrote in message
>> my 84 / c4's security light stays on all the time.
>> car starts and runs fine though.
>> can someone tell the what type security this car is
>> suppose
>> to have?
>> I can't seem to find that it has a security system at
>> all.
>>
>> thanks in advance for any info
>> --
>> "Key"
>>

> The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) uses a resistor in
> the base of the key
> to complete a circuit. Wrong resistor value - no start.
> Turn off the
> ignition, wait for a minimum of five minutes without
> turning on ignition and
> then see if the VATS reset itself. Common problems - it's
> raining and you
> get water on the key as you're unlocking the door. The
> resistance is wrong
> and it sets the VATS. After years of use, the contacts
> wear enough that the
> contacts on the key are intermittent to the contacts
> within the lock. It
> sets the VATS. It's a pain in the tookis.

the 84 has no vats system.
also,
when the resister pellet in the vats key gets warn. the
risisters value changes.
when the value changes too much, the risister value does not
match the car and the the emissions are shut down..

> A new key costs anywhere from $22 - $30. I think it may
> have something to do with whether the guy making
> the key thinks you need it REALLY bad and REALLY soon.

nah, vats keys very in price between different suppliers.
that could very well be why there is a difference in price.

--
"Key"