Old July 15th 05, 11:15 PM
Charlie Funk

"'Key" > wrote in message
> my 84 / c4's security light stays on all the time.
> car starts and runs fine though.
> can someone tell the what type security this car is suppose
> to have?
> I can't seem to find that it has a security system at all.
>
> thanks in advance for any info
> --
> "Key"

The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) uses a resistor in the base of the key
to complete a circuit. Wrong resistor value - no start. Turn off the
ignition, wait for a minimum of five minutes without turning on ignition and
then see if the VATS reset itself. Common problems - it's raining and you
get water on the key as you're unlocking the door. The resistance is wrong
and it sets the VATS. After years of use, the contacts wear enough that the
contacts on the key are intermittent to the contacts within the lock. It
sets the VATS. It's a pain in the tookis. A new key costs anywhere from
$22 - $30. I think it may have something to do with whether the guy making
the key thinks you need it REALLY bad and REALLY soon.

Charlie