Old October 13th 04, 10:43 PM
Bill Putney

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

>>2. The problem is installing a chain sprocket onto a keyed tapered shaft
>>which is then secured with a retaining nut. What is the best practice:
>>Install on clean and dry taper, install on greased taper, or apply a high
>>strength Loctite 272 to the taper before assembly? The idea is to make a
>>good assembly but be able to disassemble with no more than a puller without
>>heat. Am I correct in assuming that the key is designed for indexing but
>>the torque is taken up by the taper? If the taper is greased, removal is
>>easy, but the torque might be passed on to the key and cause localized
>>stress and failure. Clean and dry I think is the standard way of assembly,
>>but Loctite application may be in common practice too.

> I would clean the parts and then add a thin layer of grease. Then torque
> the bolt to specs. Even with gease, you will need a puller to get the
> sprocket off. Because it is a tapered press fit the sprocket will still
> move a bit up the taper.
> ------------
> Alex

I don't have an answer for the specific application, but from a
design/engineering standpoint, I would follow the written procedure as
far as grease or no grease. I say that because, unless there is a
positive stop (a step), the stresses on a tapered fit will go up maybe
an order of magnitude or more for the same bolt/nut torque, possibly
stretching or breaking the sprocket if it was not designted for that
stress (i.e., if it was designed assuming no grease).

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')