Old June 17th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Oil gauge fluctuation...

Ulysses wrote:
> "My Names Nobody" > wrote in message

> oil

>>> I would suspect a bad connection or a bad oil pressure sensor. I have

> an
>>> old (78) F350 and the "Oil" light comes on when I come to a stop and

> goes
>>> off when I start going again. It's not low on oil.
>>>
>>> .

>> You do realize it is a oil "presser" gauge, not an oil "volume" gauge?
>> You can have the appropriate amount of oil, and still suffer from a lack

> of
>> oil pressure.
>>

> So, are you saying that my oil pressure might actually be dropping when I
> come to a stop? Got any ideas what might cause this?

Yes it can and will. At idle the engine and oil pump are turning slower,
less oil is being pumped,less oil pressure. When you come to a stop the
oil will slosh forward in the oil pan and if the oil level is low
enough, the pickup tube could be momentarily uncovered causing the pump
to suck air instead of oil.