Old November 6th 04, 01:06 AM
SBlackfoot

> You got to check for spark, find a old spark plug, pull one of the spark
> wires
> and put it on the plug, then lay the plug on the manifold and crank away.
>
> If you got blue spark then chances are good that the timing belt snapped

or
> jumped teeth. Sorry if that is the case as changing it out is a PIA you
> have to
> unbolt stuff and getting the timing back right is a bit tricky. Not the
> kind of
> project you want to do in a dark, cold driveway.
>
> Codes can be had with the on-off-on-off-on ignition key sequence. But if
> the timing belt has broke or slipped, chasing codes is a waste of time.

If
> the belt has never been replaced, it's probably slipped or broken.

Thanks for the suggestions. I came home today to find that my father had
tried it again this morning and it fired right up, puffing a little dark
smoke on startup (presumably from fuel getting dumped in during cranking
last night). It idled well, no check engine light, no apparent problems. We
decided to take my brother to the mall and once we got there it stalled just
before we pulled into the parking spot. No warning of any kind, the engine
just quit. It did fire right back up and made it home with no problems. This
really doesn't give me much confidence in the ol' girl... I'm thinking a set
of plugs and leads couldn't hurt (I'm not sure if they've ever been
replaced) but still. Any comments?