Old June 21st 05, 04:00 PM
Ross Garrett

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message

> But M5 prices are dropping like rocks, in the YooEss at least. $35K
> or so will now get you an '00 or '01 with 60K or 70K miles on it. It
> can only get better.

Probably depends where you are at. Here in Denver that's about what you
would get for a trade-in value at a dealer. But you will pay between 42 to
45 grand for an 01 with 60,000 on it (private party). I imagine the dealers
are hitting that another 3 to 4 grand if you buy from their lot. That's
still a pretty good drop in a car that wasn't sold in huge numbers and so
retains some measure of exclusivity, but around here we aren't seeing prices
drop like rocks.....yet :^)

It's rather strange though given the beating BMW has taken with the new
design of the E60 that the supposedly preferred design, the E39, isn't
holding value as traditionally as BMW always has. I think there is a vocal
minority whom we hear from on a regular basis and a quiet majority who have
taken the new car to records sales levels. It is going to be interesting to
see how the new designs hold value. Obviously the more they sell the harder
it will become to hold value. We may be seeing the end of days when BMW can
be counted on to retain 65-70% of their value after 3 years.