Old October 1st 04, 01:44 PM

The 1.8t has been on trade magazine "Ward's Auto World's" list of 10
best engines on at least one occasion, in the company with BMW's sixes
and other very good engines. Ward's liked its broad power band and
minimal turbo lag. While the 1.8t has had the resolved-under-warranty
coil problems and can sludge up if the oil isn't changed when
recommended, it is far from VW's worst engine ever and is, in fact, a
very good engine. If you were to single out VW's worst engine ever, it
would probably be the air-cooled engine that created VW. This, of
course, is not because it was a bad engine for its time, but because
time marches on.