Old January 3rd 05, 10:52 PM
Vic Klein

Not that I want to start some flaming responses, but I must say I am
surprised at the vehemence some have toward fog lights! I have never ever
been "blinded" by a properly installed and aimed set of fog lights and have
never found them distracting in any way. I am not a kid, either, being well
past 50 and having poor eyes (nearsighted, bifocals, and a developing
cataract). Living out in the country, I really appreciate the added
illumination of the road edges, especially when passing an oncoming vehicle.
I am far more bothered by people who leave their high beams on and those new
"blue" lights are really a bit irritating, but I am never bothered by fog
lights.

That being said, some cars do not have fogs, but some semblance of a driving
light (I think Pontiacs are notorious for those) that will blind an oncoming
driver. Those should only be used in conjunction with High Beams, IMHO, when
no other cars are around. Do YOU have fogs? Turn them on at night while
parked close to a wall or garage door. Do they make a thin horizontal beam
of light that is no higher, and usually slightly lower to the ground, than
the lights themselves? That low-aimed, sharp cutoff light is designed to
minimize reflections up where drivers are, precisely what is needed in fog,
and should not disturb other drivers.

Now for some real insanity, why are some fog lights designed to turn off
when high beams are on? If you can run high beams, what problem is there to
run fog lights as well? Truly the fog benefit is cancelled by the high
beams, but why make them turn off?

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

<Alan > wrote in message
>I never use those lights, just because I know what it is like to have them
> shining in my eyes when the occasional "look at me" idiot has his on.
>

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:16:43 GMT, "Kevin D" > wrote:
>
>>Now why would you want to install driving lights? I hate those
>>things...all
>>they do is blind oncoming drivers. If you can't see very far with your
>>existing headlights, then you should just slow down to a safe speed.
>>
>>That's my 2c worth.

roups.com...