Old May 9th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1991 Honda Civic dies after driving on freeway

wrote in
oups.com:

> My girlfriend's '91 Civic has 150k+ miles on it and just started acting
> up. The car runs fine while driving around town, but once we get it up
> to high speeds it will just all of a sudden die the next time we slow
> down. Most of the time it starts right back up within a minute or so,
> but the last time it took about 20 minutes to start up again.
>
> We took it to our regular mechanic, who took it out for a test drive
> and never experienced a problem. He said it might be the fuel pump, but
> that he wasn't sure.
>
> After reading through newsgroups on the subject, it seems that maybe
> the problem is the main relay switch. Any suggestions?

Here's a tip: Next time it dies and won't start, watch the tach needle as
you crank. Does it jump up a tiny bit? If so, the coil is bad. If NOT, the
igniter has bit the dust. (If you have no tach, it's a bit harder to tell
the difference between coil and igniter.)

Once you've tested it as above, check for spark as shown he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...tml#checkspark
just to make sure there is, in fact, no spark.

You've got a 50-50 chance of it being a the coil or igniter. I'm going to
go with the coil for now. If you have some time, you can tell more by
testing as per this:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...tml#badigniter

--
TeGGeR®