Old August 17th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Determining mileage on a van

I'm considering buying a late 70s Dodge van which the seller indicates
has a little over 110,000 kms on it. THat's what the odometer reads.
However, this van has a 5 digit odometer, so I'm concerned that it may
have gone around more than once. THe VIN of this van is not the modern
17 character version, so I can't run a carfax on it to get an
indication of mileage. There aren't any service records that come with
the van.
So: how would you go about trying to determine if the mileage is indeed
what is being reported? Some things I thought of:
- check windshield pitting (will have a lot of small pits on high
mileage vehicles; I know because I own a couple of vehicles with over
200,000 miles)
- check condition of brake and gas pedal rubber (again, will be more
worn if vehicle has a lot of miles on it)
- I suppose engine compression and leakdown test would be an indicator
of engine wear
- wear and tear on driver's seat

ANy other tell-tale areas you can think of?
Thanks!