Old July 16th 05, 11:21 PM
Ed Stasiak

> Percival P. Cassidy wrote
> > Ed Stasiak wrote
> >
> > If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
> > the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
> > trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

> That would undoubtedly be a violation. But supposing
> it doesn't block the sidewalk?

Legally you can only keep a boat, camper, broken down car,
ect in your driveway or backyard for 4 days but the SOP seems
to be to keep the boat/camper at home all summer, even if it's
only used one or twice.

Now if your neighbors don't complain, you can keep it there all
year round. Of course all it takes is one anonymous phone call
to city hall, and you'll be towing your boat to the storage lot
thru 12" of snow in the middle of February....

> > The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
> > the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
> > toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

> I don't think that can be a general rule in MI,

I've always understood that it was a state ordnance but it
seems that cities can have their own rules;

Novi, MI;
"Except where otherwise permitted in this Ordinance, the off-
street parking of a mobile home for periods exceeding twenty-
four (24) hours on lands not approved for mobile homes or
mobile home parks, shall be expressly prohibited, except that
the Building Inspector [Official] may extend temporary permits
allowing the parking of a mobile home in a rear yard on private
property, not to exceed a period of two (2) weeks."

Marysville, MI;
"If the recreational equipment is parked or stored outside of
a garage, it shall be parked or stored in the side or rear yard
as defined in the Marysville Zoning Ordinance. At no time shall
the recreational equipment protrude beyond the front line of
the swelling.
Recreational equipment and/or recreational vehicles may be
parked anywhere on the premises for loading or unloading
purposes for a period of not more than forty-eight (48) hours."

Northville, MI;
"Not more than one of each of the above enumerated apparatus, with
a maximum or four (4) of the same may be parked or stored on a lot
of record which is zoned and used for residential purposes; no closer
than three (3) feet to any side or rear lot line; and ownership of
said apparatus must be in the name of a member of the immediate
family of the lot's owner, tenant or lessee.
Campers, travel trailers, motorized homes, mobile homes and general
utility trailers may be parked anywhere on the premises for loading
or unloading purposes for a period not to exceed seventy-two (72)
hours except the time limit shall not apply to rear yard area."

> Many other neighbors have boats parked in their driveways or
> alongside their houses, some all year round. No problem.

Like I said, I see people doing that here also even thou it's
illegal but as long as nobody calls city hall, (like the owner
of the local storage facility....) you're alright.