Old June 3rd 05, 06:24 PM
RichA

On 2 Jun 2005 19:01:49 -0700, wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> The race car GT, not the Mustang!
>> Left me like a cheap date.

>Rich,
>
>How about some details?
>
>Patrick
>'93 Cobra

I ran into the car on a local hwy called the Don Valley Parkway.
His car was red. For a split second, I didn't know what it was
because I'd only seen one at a show, but then I realized it was the
GT.
The hwy winds it's way into Downtown Toronto. We were stuck doing
25mph in the usual traffic jam about 10km from the city. The driver
of the GT looked at me a couple lanes over an waved. I waved back.
Once we cleared a major intersection (bunch of highway cut-offs)
the traffic eased up so he honked his horn a couple times and we took
off. From a near standing start (amazing how traffic can jam up when
nothing is in front of it, all those drivers deciding to change
multiple lanes at the last minute) he took the lead, by 80k (48mph)
he was lengths in front. Then we went into a turn, and he just left
me. I don't know how fast he was going, I could feel the lateral
force in the turn in my car but he tracked perfectly and just kept
going. The only other time I'd felt that in a wide turn was when
racing a Porche a long time ago.
The GT has an interesting engine sound, higher pitched than the Viper.
It almost reminded me of an E-Type Jag.
My car is pretty loud under full acceleration, more than a Mustang
GT, but I still heard his sound because it was so different.
I also saw his head jerk back as he changed gears. Reminded me of
a Vette driver I saw not long ago. To be fair,
(not that it would have mattered much) his lane cleared a second or
two before mine did. I didn't catch up to him again, which meant he
kept at speed, not a good proposition on that particular road, but I'm
sure he can afford the fine.
--Rich