Old September 1st 04, 04:33 PM
KWS

Depending on how bad things are, it may be fixed by using either Loctite
products or JB weld. My keyway was gouged out about 250% when I gooped it
all back together about 10K miles ago. It is still running strong.

It is important to use a new crankshaft pulley; comparison and measurement
of the old and new revealed the absence of a 1mm relief in the original
pulley where it sat on the shoulder of the crankshaft. This appears to have
caused the pulley to rub on the engine housing which likely was a
significant contributor to the keyway problem. The new pulley seems clear of
everything.

If you ignore the problem, you probably run the risk of further damaging the
crank nose. There have been cases where the pulley sheared off. Of course,
that means your Miata comes to an immediate stop. At that point, the only
solution will be a new crankshaft.

To answer your questions: Yes, it is common; price sounds right; my
preference would be to use the engine I have known for the past 168K miles
or start new.

Hope this helps.

Ken

"Jeff & Missy" > wrote in message
> I have a 90 with 103K on her and noticed she was suffering from a severe
> lack of power. Posted symptoms to this group and received great advice.

> did some trouble shooting (plugs, wires, air cleaner...), but still no
> improvement in performance. I took it to the local dealer who informed me
> that the crankshaft was going. He said it was common with the 90's,
> something to do with the "key". Quoted a price of about $2100 to fix!
> Since "top-down" weather is just about over here in the northeast, I'm
> thinking I'll be saving money over the cold months to have her fixed in

the
> Spring.
>
> 3 questions: is this a common problem, does that price sound right,

should