Old July 21st 04, 03:24 PM
DesmaisonLCM

Dans l'article outautos.com>,
"Tspark" >a écrit :

>Hi
>
>I have a 1998 GTV 2.0 Tspark - Recommended Oil is Selenia 10w-40
>(synthetic based). I have always used this oil on servicing and topped up
>with Castrol Magnatec when necessary.
>
>Recently I was advised by a friend to try Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w-40.
>I have topped up with this over Selenia for the last 3 months. As a result
>my car is running a lot sweeter - faster, smoother & sounds great.
>However I am slightly concerned as to the lack of mineral content in the
>Mobil 1 oil - Should I be using this at all in my car or not??
>
>Sorry if this question has been asked before!!

you can use it but Mobil 1 is not better than Selenia. it's not because it's a
0W40 that it is better than a 10w40. It just mean that the oil is more thin at
low temp, if you live in Laponie for example. Alfa book say that we must use
10W40 base synthetic oil for classic usage and 10W60 for very sporty usage.
It's because when you go hard the engine is in higher temp and need an oil wich
resit to higher temp like a W60.
With a 0W oil, you can have more leakage on the engine because this oil is too
thin for it, the engine is not design to work with this kind of oil. So yes you
can feel the engine more smoother etc... because the oil is very thin at low
temp when you start to drive, the engine can get his rpm faster but you have a
higher risk of oil consumption and leakage.

Bruno
156 1.6 (10W40)
75 2.0 TS (10W40, 175.000km without any engine problem)