Old December 22nd 04, 06:39 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> Yeah, and I could just pee in the oil fill hole for free. Yer point?
>
> While I don't deny that relatively inexpensive conventional oils are
> adequate for most engines, I simply do not trust the $.49/quart
> ****water to have anything like a halfway decent additive package. When
> I use a conventional oil, I use one that has a good reputation (Castrol,
> Valvoline, etc.) and that I know will have the same additive package (or
> will improve over time) every time I buy it, rather than some different
> random lowest-bidder blend stuffed into the same generic bottle at each
> buying cycle.

Sorry but I've also bought Valvoline at the .49 cent price - with rebate of
course. Not recently, but at least once this year.

I see Castrol also discounted quite regularly.

My point is obvious to anyone - if you are a halfway smart shopper
you can buy oil at the buck a quart level. Sure, you have to buy it
when they sell it at that level, and you have to stockpile it as well,
but it can be bought.

What you CAN'T do is be a lazy-ass and just walk into whatever
retailer you want whenever you want and buy whatever brand of oil
you want at a buck a quart. You do have to actually pay attention
to these things called, you know, advertising circulars? They come
in the local newspaper? You know, the thing you line your birdcage
with since you can't read?

I would suggest that you ask your wife where she gets those little
things called grocery store coupons, she might teach you a thing or two.

Motor oil to auto parts stores is like milk is to grocery stores. There's
a huge market for it and it is very competitive. It is one of the few
things
that is guarenteed to get customers into the store. When an auto parts
chain drops $200K into an advertising campaign, they
use motor oil as a loss leader just like the grocery stores use milk as
a loss leader. And it works great for that.

Ted