Old July 18th 05, 05:43 PM
Milleron

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:55:17 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:31:07 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:
>
>>In article <EfFCe.4425$ij3.3951@trndny06>,
>> "Thomas G. Marshall"
>> . com> wrote:
>>
>>> The clock is /not/ part of the instrument lighting. It is
>>> under separate control, high and low based only on whether or not the lights
>>> are on, and is not affected by the dashboard light dimmer.

>>Man, Honda is making things CHEAP. I guess that's their philosophy on
>>the Civic-based line.
>>
>>More and more, it's obvious that the beancounters are in charge at
>>Honda, and that engineers are way down the ladder.
>>
>>Damn shame.

>Our Accord does that, except that there are other things that dim when
>the headlights come on. I can leave it on daylight only (doesn't
>matter if the headlights are on or off) by turning the odometer reset
>knob. Found that by accident. I suppose if I had read the book it
>would have explained it. :-)
>
>Dick

I think OP said that the dimmer rheostat doesn't affect his clock
lighting. That's why he's asking here if there's a way to keep it
fully illuminated with the headlights on.

There are ways to install DTRLs which means feeding a reduced voltage
to the high beam lamps all the time, but it's expensive and
complicated (for an amateur). I investigated it, and it most
definitely is not a job for the likes of me. I'd have to have it done
by a pro, and I think that parts and labor would run the price up to
several hundred dollars. That's the only way I've discovered to
overcome the problem with dash illumination in American Accords. I'd
call the Canadians lucky, but have you ever been there in the
winter?!? It's foolish of Honda America not to make DTRLs a standard
or, at the very least, an optional feature.

I'd love to hear the regular contributors weigh in on this question.

Ron